The new hire hot seat
We have a new team member! Her name is Kaila Lawrence and she's our full time Community Manager. We sat her down for a ~very~ personal 20 Questions in the hot seat for your reading pleasure. You're welcome.
The warm up
- Let's start with the basics. Where are you from, where did you work before, what will you be doing for Fab, etc. etc.
I'm originally from Boston, got a degree in Communication, and have been a copywriter for 3 years. I've most recently worked for Hasbro and a game developer startup here in SF. I'll be doing social media, email, and other marketing initiatives for Orange Fab.
- What's your middle name?
- We're in tech so we have to ask. Team iPhone or Android?
Android all the way.
- How many countries have you visited?
4. Canada, Mexico, Australia, and Fiji.
- Do you have any pets?
Yes! I have a puppy named Jax. He just turned 1. A Swedish Vallhund mix.
- Ninjas or pirates?
Gettin' spicy. . .
- If you were a drink, which would you be and why?
Hmmm. A margarita because I'm fun and outgoing like tequila can turn anyone!
- Do you have a hidden talent?
I do, actually. I can reach my left arm around my head and touch my left ear.
- What song do you know every word to?
Oh my god, too many. I do feel particularly proud about Nicki Minaj's 'Super Bass' and Eminem's 'Lose Yourself.'
- What's the best advice you've ever received?
Wow, um, I don't think it was ever explicitly said aloud but my parents have always taught me to not only chase my dreams, but to actually catch them. A dream will never be a goal until there's a plan behind it.
- What's your life motto?
'The cure for everything is salt water: tears, sweat, or the sea." I actually have it tattooed!
- You're in the Silicon Valley. Pitch us your startup idea.
Oh jeeze. Well, I do actually have an idea and I don't want anyone to steal it so all I'll say is that it's about roommates.
- Why did you last fight with your sibling?
I don't have any!
- Tell us how you got one of your scars.
I have a monster one under my chin from flipping over the handlebars of a trike in kindergarten. I tried to Evel Knievel over a rock. I was 4, didn't really pan out.
- Why did you last cry?
Oh wow... Well, I last teared up when I was watching a cartoon, honestly. A character I really liked came back in the sequel series and it caught me off guard. Such a nerd, I know.
- What is your guilty pleasure?
I'm actually a pretty dedicated Minecraft player.
- Have you ever broken someone's heart?
Yikes... Umm, yes. A couple, actually. Whoops.
- What's the craziest thing you've ever done?
Ha! Well, once during the judging deliberation of a sporting event I did the worm across a gym floor because no one else was dancing.
- What do you want to accomplish before you die?
Sheesh, that's heavy. Umm, I'm not sure, really. I'd just like to leave a positive legacy, however that manifests itself.
- Tell us the story of your most embarrassing moment.
Was waiting for this one... Well, during a musical audition in high school I tripped and face planted on the stairs up to the stage when it was my turn to sing. Such a cliche movie plot but yeah... True story.
Whew! Nice job, Kaila. You passed initiation. Welcome to the team!
To reach Kaila, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org!